Tropical Rainforest Facts
* Tropical rainforests are the species-richest ecosystems on the Earth.
* They cover only 5% of the Earth's surface, but are home to more than 50% of plant and animal species in the world.
* Orchids are the most diverse group of flowering plants with 18,000 species recorded.
* The world's largest flower is Rafflesia arnoldii (1 meter across).
* The world's tallest towering plant is Australia's Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus regnans).
* The smallest bird in the world is bee hummingbird.
* The central and south American Tinamou lays multi-coloured eggs.
* Some cockatoos' calls are so loud they can be heard from 5km distance.
* Male bowerbirds spend a lot of time to build and maintain an ornament to impress females. Some decorate it with colorful items, others bring fresh flowers almost every day.
* Australia's duck-billed platypus is a mammal that lays eggs and males carry enough venom to kill a small dog.
* A tiger's night vision is six times better than humans.
* A hippotamus gives birth under the water and nurses young in the water.
* The world's longest venomous snakes are King Cobras.
* The world's largest snakes are the non-poisonous anacondas.
* A chameleon's tongue is twice as long as its body.
* The world's largest butterfly's wingspan is 30cm.
* there are 116 species of poison-arrow frogs, which got their name from tribal people using their highly venomous poison on the tips of their darts.
© Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail to buy
Back to Tropical Rainforest Biome